Tuesday, October 23, 2012

on writing a blog

In those first few months of motherhood, as I navigated my way through the newborn haze, I discovered a community of women who were writing about their parenting experiences online. Five years ago I fumbled around with some rather foreign-to-me blog settings, uploaded a photo and wrote a little bit about Che. My intention was simple - document and celebrate my family life.

Che & Fidel is now a significant part of my writing portfolio, a small publication where I'm at the creative helm. I like to think that it is a place of calm in a rather chaotic online world; somewhere to come while you drink tea. A breather, perhaps.

I've been humbled by emails and comments requesting advice on blog writing. Some of you have asked about writing to engage your audience, others have asked about writing professionally and some of you want to know more about taking photos

To be honest I feel a little inadequate giving advice. Why? Well, I've spent the past five years writing because I love it; honest snippets of my life that serve as a reminder of the good. A gratitude journal, of sorts. I've written about my personal life but I constantly remind myself that some things needn't be shared. Thumper said it best: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all." It's a personal decision I've made and it's one that I stand by.

Aesthetics are important to me and it was my aim years ago to learn to shoot on manual and create images that complimented my words. Perhaps it's all that time I've spent working in the magazine industry; a photograph often attracts the reader's attention and encourages them to read on, the allure of a beautiful capture. I've spent hours upon hours reading tutorials about html and learning how to customise my blog settings. I'm happy with what I've created - a simple format that is easy to navigate. In a lurid, flashing www world I seek white, quiet space.

Five months ago, after much procrastination, I decided to accept sponsors on my sidebar. It's been a pleasure to work with creatives who share my values. The fact that they recognise and respect my words and photos, my labour of love...well, it's the greatest professional compliment I've ever received.

I do invest time and energy into Che & Fidel and I firmly believe in quality over quantity. If I don't have anything to write about I don't write anything at all. Sometimes I step away for a few days and at other times I have a long list of story ideas that equal a month worth of posts - rarely do I write them all. 

I am more than happy to answer your specific questions in the comments section so please, go ahead and ask. And thank you....for reading and commenting and seeking my opinion. 

on working from home - part one
one working from home - part two

top photo by tim - taken in winter when the water was cold but refreshing

No comments:

Post a Comment