Saturday, October 4, 2008

108


If you watch this little orange guy you will notice that he is practicing a series of yoga asanas (postures). This series is called a sun salutation (surya namaskara) or "salute to the sun".

Surya Namaskara is a series of postures linking breath with movement. An uplifiting, flowing sequence that expands energy in the body. It is traditionally performed facing east at sunrise. An acknowledgement and greeting to the sun - the physical and spiritual heart of the world.

108 is a significant number in yoga. There are 108 beads on a mala (a garland of prayer beads used to count while repeating a mantra), 108 sacred points on the body, 108 sacred sites in India. Vedic mathemeticians believe 108 connects the Sun and Moon to the Earth - the average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters.

On October 22nd at 6am I will greet the sun 108 times. I will be joined by yogis Australia and world-wide as we connect for the YogaAid challenge. An opportunity to take yoga into the streets and the parks and onto the beaches, to raise awareness to a number of wonderful charities.

I will be raising money for the Save The Children fund and I need your help.

If you would like to support me and donate to an amazing charity please click here and press 'donate' next to Jodi Wilson.

Very special thankyous to hazyjane and hoppo bumpo for their donations. Thanks lovelies...much appreciated.

And just so you know...I've never practiced 108 sun salutations before. Ever. So for me it's a first. And no doubt, for days afterwards, I will feel all that beautiful warmth from the sun and all those muscles that have been resting for far too long. I am excited...and a little daunted.

(((((((Om)))))))))

3 comments:

  1. Cute graphics!
    Great way to raise money for a good cause. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! When I get a new credit card, I'll sure to donate (my old card got into a little trouble when people stole the numbers off it).

    And happy belated birthday to Che. looks like he had a fabulous time at his party and on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of sun salutations! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete